Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Monster Ball

Waaaaayyyyyyy back in October, I was asking my professor for a five-minute bathroom break beginning at 9:57 so that I could get online and order Lady Gaga tickets.

That seems like forever ago.

The concert itself was last Thursday, and, to be honest, it kind of snuck up on me.  In the midst of buying a house and wrapping up 3rd quarter stuff at school, I just wasn't thinking about it.  Also, I'm not actually a huge Lady Gaga fan.  If I were going to see Justin Bieber again, I would've made a paper chain countdown.  By the time this concert rolled around, my feeling was just... eh.

However...

I think that concert might have been the best show I will ever see in my life.

Lady Gaga is crazy.  Like, certifiably crazy.  But she is also a creative genius.

This evening, which conveniently happened to fall on St. Patrick's Day, was so much more than a concert.  It was a show, a play... an experience.

Kelli and I wore green to comply with the societal expectation of the holiday...


but we felt pretty underdressed.  Why didn't we think to roll beer cans into our hair?


Or to dig out our fairy costumes?


Or to dress in drag?


Next time, we'll know better, I guess.

The whole storyline of the show was Lady Gaga trying to get to the Monster Ball on time.  For those of you who aren't up on your Lady Gaga lingo, she refers to her fans as "little monsters."  Throughout the concert, she requested that we "put our paws up," and everyone obliged.



See below the many outfits of Lady Gaga:
Disclaimer:  The picture quality isn't great.  It could've been the concert lighting, but it's probably my camera.











Almost as often as her clothing changed, the stage set changed.  We started out with a smoking truck.


Then, it changed to a subway car scene:


Later, it turned into a park/forest


And then we "went to church"


Where Lady Gaga laid down to pray

Although it was a bit strange, her message was good.

Finally, the monster appeared, and we had to help her kill it.


Alas!  She made it to the Monster Ball on time!  And all was well with the world.

Conclusions:
  • This woman can sing.  Like, really sing well.  She's got raw talent.
  • People have no sense of shame in appearance, including Lady Gaga.
  • Paying $100 to see this show was absolutely worth it.
  • Next time, I need to take the following day off from work... midnight is just too late to be out.
  • St. Patrick's Day is a worthless holiday.  What is it that we are actually celebrating, anyway?

No comments: