Monday, February 7, 2011

Some Days

Some days, I wonder what it would be like to work 9-5.
Other days, I can't imagine being forced to think after 3:15.

Some days, I wish I had a whole hour for lunch - enough time to go home, let my dog out, and take my time eating my food.
Other days, I realize that if I did have an hour, I would probably waste most of it.

Some days, I wonder what it would be like to leave at the end of the day without piles of work yet to be done.
Other days, I wonder how much mindless television I would watch if I didn't spend my evenings planning lessons and grading papers.

Some days, I get sick of testing, testing, testing.
Other days, I am grateful to teach in a city and in a country that holds teachers and students accountable for learning.

Some days, I wonder what it would be like to earn a salary comparable to a businessperson or other professionals - doctors, lawyers, etc.
Other days, I am grateful for the challenge of being frugal.

Some days, I wish my days were predictable - that I would know exactly what would be expected of me going in to each and every day.
Other days, I can't imagine working a job that didn't challenge me and my thinking.

Some days, I crave a set schedule - 9-5, Monday through Friday, every week of the year.
Other days, I can't imagine life without summers, snow days, and semester breaks.

Some days, I wish I wasn't faced with living examples of the disparities of our society - poverty, homelessness, unemployment, and broken homes and families.
Other days, I am so grateful to be in position to give clothing, food, or supplies to kids who wouldn't otherwise have any.

Some days, I wish I didn't have to deal with sass, disrespect, apathy, the middle school odor, and drama.
Other days, I am so glad to be in a position to see the incredible potential of this generation.

Some days, I am not sure that I have what it takes to be a teacher.
Other days, I am convinced that it is what I was put on this earth to do.

Thank God for those "other" days.

No comments: