Wednesday, September 15, 2010

DMB for Free!

As I mentioned last Friday, I won from KFRX, a local radio station, free tickets to go see Dave Matthews Band.

When I asked around the plan center at school on Friday morning, it sounded to me like my co-workers were pretty apathetic about Dave Matthews Band.

Except for Taylor.

So, I invited her to go with me.


Tuesday, the day of the concert, was kind of hecic for both of us.  I had to be out of school for the day to attend a training as part of the health class I will be teaching at the end of the year.  Taylor coaches volleyball and got out of practice an hour after its scheduled end time.

So, we left school later than originally planned and didn't have enough time to go to dinner.  So, we drove through McDonalds and ate in the car on our way to the Qwest.

Classy, right?

When we got to the Qwest, there was a booth right outside of our section labeled "Section 208 Reassignments."  As it turned out, they put up some curtain that would've obstructed our view of the concert, so we got moved, which turned out to be a good thing because we got to move a little bit closer to the stage.

Again, my camera is not high-quality.  It is events like this that continually remind me of that fact.  I'm thinking that maybe I will buy myself a new one for Christmas.

Anyway, here are some shots from the concert.  Trust me, these pictures do not do justice to the quality of that show!

The Qwest stayed empty for a long time.  I was beginning to feel bad for Dave and his band, thinking that nobody would show up.  By the time he came on, however, the place was packed.

Shortly after the show began, we became a bit distracted by a lady who thought that dancing in the aisle was a good idea.  Our whole section got a good laugh out of her.


Once she finally moved to the top row of the aisle, it was easier to focus on what we came to see:




The show was AMAZING!  They are stellar live performers, and I especially enjoyed the improvisation between songs.  They are such a talented group of musicians, and Taylor and I both said how much we enjoy seeing how much passion comes through when they play their music.

The encore performance was the best I've ever seen.  They played several songs and concluded with "Two Step," which is one of my favorites.  It ended up being a 15-minute song with all of the improvisation that they did.  It was absolutely breathtaking.

We got back into town at about 12:15.  Although I ended up staying at school until after 2:00 a.m. to get my sub plans ready for the next day, it was totally worth the experience we had.

"Celebrate we will
Because life is short but sweet for certain
We're climbing two by two
To be sure these days continue"
-Dave Matthews Band

No comments: