Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Rest of Friday

When we left the museum, it was time for lunch.  Unfortunately, it was pouring rain.  After sprinting, we made it safely back to Uncle Jim's truck, our clothes soaking wet.

Uncle Jim then took us to one of his favorite Mexican restaurants.

I'm a bit of a picky eater, and ethnic food is not something that I can stomach, so I just ordered dessert.  The food was delicious (I'm told), and Uncle Jim was kind enough to pay for our lunches.

After lunch, we left Uncle Jim and headed to Ft. Worth to the Stockyards, which was an area that really feels like Texas.

We explored the gift shops:

I even found a container of mints with my name on it... spelled correctly!

That almost never happens.

Every day at 4:00, they have a cattle parade.  This event probably has a different name, but "cattle parade" seems fitting to me.

Here we are anxiously awaiting the "parade" to start:

Soon, the "parade" of sorts began:

And that was it.  After only a few short minutes, the "parade" was over.

We left Ft. Worth and went to a mall to buy some TCU gear so that we would be ready for Saturday's game.  Then, we went back to our hotel to wait for Russ to be done with work.

We all went out for a late dinner at a steakhouse.  It is some sort of tacit rule that one should not visit Texas without eating at a good steakhouse.  I ordered the chicken strips, and they were delicious.  I'm almost always willing to splurge for desserts when going out to eat, but I was way too full after eating this meal to even consider ordering it.  

Judging by the amount of steakhouses that exist in Texas, I decided that I don't think I would fit in very well considering I don't like steak.  Or hamburger.  Or any other kind of red meat.  Telling a Texan you're a vegetarian of sorts is kind of like telling them you're a Democrat.

After dinner, we decided to go to a dueling pianos show.  I'd been to one in Chicago before and loved the experience.  The one in Ft. Worth didn't disappoint either.  We had a great time!

Amber even landed herself in a competition to see who could do the "Running Man" best as they played "Ice, Ice, Baby."

She did a great job...

and was pronounced the winner!

Later, Russ paid the pianists $5.00 to play the Husker fight song.  He complied, but the many Longhorn fans were quick to counteroffer.  It was a back-and-forth battle in which much money was thrown away.  I couldn't even begin to guess how much money we donated to the pianists as a result of Russ's request.  I'm sure that they appreciated it, though.  Nebraska, we represented you well!
Russ needed to leave so that he could get an adequate amount of sleep before game day, so, after hearing our fight song, we decided to call it a night.

But not before stopping to take a picture with this slightly creepy very kind cowboy musician:

No comments: