Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bucket List

Have you ever seen this movie?

I don't think that I have.  At least not the whole thing.  I have this tendency to fall asleep during movies and then not remember which movies I have actually seen.

Anyway, another one of the assignments in my Building Communities class was to create a bucket list - a list of things you want to do before you die.  The minimum requirement was to have ten items on the list.

I thought it would be a simple assignment, but I had some trouble creating my list.  There are many times where I have said, "I really want to _____________ sometime in my life."  But as I made my list, those things were not coming to mind.

Another problem that I had was being able to commit to the things I was writing down.  In my world, if something is written down, it is so.  Therefore, I know that the things that I wrote on my bucket list will one day be so.  As I made the list, however, I had to really think about whether or not the things I have said that I wanted are actually things that I intend to pursue.

Here is the list that I came up with:

1.  Go skydiving.

2.  Learn American Sign Language.

3.  Go alone to somewhere I've never been.

4.  See a live taping of Oprah or Ellen.

5.  Get a 2nd Masters degree in either Educational Administration or Counseling.

6.  Buy a house.

7.  Adopt a child.

8.  See the ball drop in New York City on New Year's Eve.

9.  Learn to play the violin.

10.  Teach a college class.

There you have it.  Help keep me accountable, friends!

No comments: