Wednesday, July 28, 2010

NASC Olympics > World Olympics

I am not a fan of the World Olympics.  I just don't care about them and therefore I never keep up with them.  For one day out of my summer, however, I am a fan of the Olympics... the NASC Olympics, that is.

On the second night of our Workshops, we have the NASC Olympics in which students from all three of our workshops compete against one another.  At our Workshops, students are split into groups of 10-12 students.  We call those groups "co-ops."  In JAM, the co-ops are identified by flavors of jam; in ALW, they are identified by group-chosen animals; and in SLW, co-ops are identified by letters.

This past week in JAM, I worked with the Mangos.  Usually, we use more traditional flavors of jam, but this year, we decided to change to tropical flavors.

Here we are getting ready to go to the Olympics...


What I like most about the NASC Olympics is that there are activities for everyone, whether or not they have athletic ability.  For the record, I consider myself as part of the latter category.  Olympic events include:

Seeing how many times the hula hoop can get around the circle in 90 seconds...

Seeing how many people can blow a cup across a piece of string in 90 seconds...


Seeing how many cups can be blown off of a table using the air in a balloon...



Seeing how many balloons can be kept off the ground without using hands...


Seeing how many free throws can be shot in 90 seconds...




Seeing how many bowling pins can be knocked down using tennis balls and panty hose...




An outdoor water relay...

And my all-time favorite:  seeing how many cheese balls can be dropped onto someone wearing a shower cap covered in shaving cream...




There were many other events of which I did not get pictures.  Sorry.

My Mangos worked so well together throughout the process, and they were very proud of their performance.  Over the course of the week, I enjoyed many compliments from other staffers saying that they had done the best out of all of the groups in terms of participation, cooperation, and listening to directions.

On night four at the banquet, it was announced that the Mangos had placed first out of all of the JAM co-ops and third overall (out of more than 20 co-ops).  That announcement was icing on the cake for them!

GO MANGOS!

No comments: