Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Parting Well-Made

A few years ago, a wise co-op partner of mine read to our co-op Act 5, Scene 1 from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.  I love that play, and I thought it was such a fitting way to close co-op on the final day of Workshop.  Every year since, I have read to my delegates a part of that play.  For those of you who are unfamiliar, it goes like this:

BRUTUS

    No, Cassius, no: think not, thou noble Roman,
    That ever Brutus will go bound to Rome;
    He bears too great a mind. But this same day
    Must end that work the ides of March begun;
    And whether we shall meet again I know not.
    Therefore our everlasting farewell take:
    For ever, and for ever, farewell, Cassius!
    If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
    If not, why then, this parting was well made.


CASSIUS

    For ever, and for ever, farewell, Brutus!
    If we do meet again, we'll smile indeed;
    If not, 'tis true this parting was well made.

BRUTUS

    Why, then, lead on. O, that a man might know
    The end of this day's business ere it come!
    But it sufficeth that the day will end,
    And then the end is known. Come, ho!



 I outlined my favorite part in bold.

I read this passage and then tell my delegates that in everything we do over the final few hours should be done in pursuit of a parting well-made.

I am happy to report that the parting was well-made.  We spent our final hours taking pictures, exchanging hugs, and signing shirts and autograph books.


Why, then, lead on. O, that a man might know 
The end of this day's business ere it come!
But it sufficeth that the day will end,
And then the end is known. Come, ho! away!

No comments: