I simply did not care.
But this new healthy living project at work has made me think twice about some of these things.
The fact of the matter is that I am overweight because I eat too much, I eat the wrong things, and I don't exercise. And it is time for that to change.
Those who know me know how much of a picky eater I am. Because of these food preferences, it is really hard for me to find a way to make this diet/exercise thing work.
After much research online, I have decided to join the Slim-Fast 3-2-1 plan.
I get three snacks, two shakes or meal bars, and one 500-calorie meal each day. Also, I'm expected to exercise for 30 minutes each day. Yes, I know, it is one of those fad-ish diets. But I think it's going to work for me, and here's why:
1. The one food that I don't know how I could live without is chocolate.
With Slim-Fast, I basically eat chocolate all day long. I drink a chocolate shake for breakfast. I eat a chocolatey meal bar or drink another chocolate shake for lunch. I eat a chocolate snack bar for one of my snacks. That's more chocolate than I normally intake on a daily basis!
2. I don't have time to make breakfast; therefore, I don't eat it.
As mentioned above, with Slim-Fast, I just grab a ready-made shake from the fridge. I'll drink it on my way to work. No problem!
3. I am not in a place where I am ready to force-feed myself vegetables and red meat or fish.
With this diet, I never have to do those things. The shakes and meal bars are nutrient-rich, and numerous scientific studies have verified that they are an acceptable meal substitute.
4. I don't want to make time for weekly meetings and weigh-ins.
The other diet that I researched a lot was Weight Watchers, as it is the only other diet plan that is scientifically proven to show results. That being said, my weekly schedule of commitments is crazy, and I knew I would have a hard time making things work.
5. I don't want to consume my life with counting.
Another con for Weight Watchers. I don't want to spend my days looking things up in a reference book and converting that number to points and then counting those up. With slim-fast, I only have to count once per day, and that is for my dinner. I just have to make sure that I don't go over 500. Because of the lack of variety of the meals that I eat currently, I have figured out what a 500-calorie portion looks like, so it's barely taking me any time at all.
6. I don't want to spend a lot of money on food.
As it was, I spent maybe $60 per month on groceries. Maybe. I went out and bought a month's supply of Slim-Fast supplies and spent $60, so it seems that this plan is in line with my current grocery budget. At Sam's Club, I can buy in bulk, so that saves me some money.
I am currently only two days in, and so far, it's going well. There are only a few problems that I am anticipating.
- I don't feel completely full. I'm hoping that once I have adjusted to the new portions, that this feeling will go away.
- While I did buy a variety of flavors of meal bars, snacks, and shakes, I'm wondering how long it will be before they get old.
- I spend my whole day looking forward to dinner, which is when I get to eat "normal" food. The Slim-Fast stuff does actually taste good, but not as good as cheese pizza or pasta.
I guess we'll see what happens. But now, it is time for my snack! I'm thinking clementines...