Monday, January 10, 2011

Resolutions of Sorts

I decided a few years ago that I would no longer declare New Year's Resolution(s).  Mainly because in my 23 years of life, I have never followed through with one.

This year, however, I did write a list of reminders for myself.  The are not resolutions.  Just things to keep in mind.  The list goes as follows:

~~~~~
1.  Your students' papers will not grade themselves.  Allowing them to sit around, untouched, for multiple days will only create more stress later on.  Turn off the TV, turn off the computer, and get them done.

2.  Your mother is a worrier.  It would not kill you to call home more than twice a week so that she doesn't have to spend the other five days wondering if you're OK.

3.  You claim that your faith is a top priority in your life.  Make sure that the way you live your life reflects that.

4.  Your weight will not go down if you continue to eat junk food and refuse to exercise.  Consider eating out less and being active more.

5.  The things that make people most happy are not things.  Reconsider how you choose to spend your money this year.

6.  Sure, friendships come and go.  But they are more likely to stick around if you take time to nurture them.  Take some time this year to re-kindle past friendships and make sure that your current friends know how much they mean to you.

7.  Five hours of sleep each night is not enough.  Get done what needs to get done, and go to bed.  Facebook status updates will still be there in the morning.

8.  Only five classes remain until you get your Masters.  Don't start slacking now.

9.  You only have one chance to make an impression on this particular group of students.  Give it your best shot each and every day.

10.  You are already very busy.  Consider saying "no" the next time someone asks you to take on something big.
~~~~~

While I had no intentions of formalizing any one of these suggestions, my team leader, Barbara, suggested that we make healthy living a team effort.  Her idea involves these steps:

1.  Set an overall goal that involves making yourself more healthy.
2.  Set a goal at the beginning of each week that contributes toward your overall goal.
3.  Weigh in on Monday mornings.  Record your net gain/loss.
4.  During the week, help encourage and keep each other accountable.

There are only these rules:
  • Never, ever, tell anyone what you weigh.  It is your business and yours alone.
  • You may not tell another person what an appropriate goal is for them.  They decide for themselves with no criticism from anyone else.
  • A net gain in weight will be written off as gaining muscle mass. :)
So, now our plan center is adorned with these posters, made by moi:




The response to Barbara's idea has been very positive.  So far, every teacher in 6th grade has committed to it.  Except for Jerry, who just finished losing 25 pounds.   I suppose that excuses him from joining in.

I also set up a team as part of The Biggest Loser's Pound-for-Pound Challenge.  For every pound pledged, they donate 11 cents to your local food bank, which is enough money to secure one pound of food.  So, one pound of weight lost is one pound of food gained by families in need.  I'm excited to see how many people at my school will get on board and join me in this challenge.

My first weekly goal, starting today, is going to be to not eat fast food, which is something that I normally do several times a week.  It's going to be hard, but I think I can do it.  Also, I'm going to go to the gym for the first time in a long time!

Fortunately, our school district has declared a snow day for today, so I'll be snowed in and forced to cook for myself!  Also, I'll have plenty of time to make my way over to the workout facility.

No comments: